Sofas get dusty and food crumbs find their way into the deep corners and drinks inadvertently spill onto the upholstery. Fortunately, sofa cleaning is not a tough task if you have a bit of time and the right cleaning supplies. If you don’t want to call your local cleaning agency to clean up for you or you are simply looking at doing a quick clean before the next professional cleaning, our guide will take you through some simple and easy sofa cleaning steps.
- It is important to know the sofa fabric
It is important to know the fabric type before you start cleaning. Look for the tag that tells you what material the sofa cover is made of. Most often these tags will provide instructions on which cleaning products can be used and which cannot be used.
- Begin sofa cleaning by vacuuming
It is best to start by getting rid of any surface debris, dust and dirt from the sofa. For this you can use a dust-buster or a hose add-on of a vacuum cleaner to eliminate any dust particles. Use the long attachment of the vacuum cleaner to reach the crevices and don’t forget to vacuum the cushions. It is recommended that you start by vacuuming the cushions and then place them aside so that you can work on the sofa.
- Get rid of heavy dust
If there are spots on the sofa where dirt has been caked in, use a brush to break it loose and release the dirt. Ensure that you rub gently so that the fabric is not damaged.
- Remove pet hair from sofa
Your vacuum cleaner will not be able to get rid of pet hair. To get rid of any fur, use a lint roller once you finish vacuuming the sofa. Work in a systematic pattern so that you don’t miss out on any hair.
- Wipe clean
Use wipes to clean any hard surface, hand rests and any other exposed surfaces. Alternatively, you can use a cleaning product that is appropriate for wooden or other surfaces that you are cleaning. Keep an all-purpose surface cleaner handy so that you don’t have to scurry around looking for specific wipes. Use a leather surface cleaner for leather upholstered sofas.
- For tough stains
Fabric Pre-conditioner can be used to dissolve dirt and oil from the upholstery. Make sure that you spot test the preconditioner for discolouration on a spot that is not easily viewable.
- Gentle wash
If you have removable sofa covers then it is best to toss them into the washing machine for a quick wash, especially if they are extremely soiled. Avoid washing them too often though or you will risk damaging the fabric.
It is recommended that every six months you get professional cleaners to clean your sofa. This will help maintain the original feel and look of the fabric. The domestic cleaning agency will use professional tools that don’t discolour or harm the fabric. Follow this up with regular cleaning before your next appoint with the cleaning company.
If you think that cleaning is bothersome and tiring, perhaps all you need to do is change the way you have been doing it so far. It is true that there are many things you have to take into consideration when it comes to effective home cleaning, but it is by understanding these basic guidelines that you can have easier time cleaning and longer lasting results.
- Develop a cleaning routine – this will allow you to manage your time better. Cleaning routine means a schedule that you will follow for your chores, and of course not forget to be flexible when you need to. Home cleaning consists of chores that you have to perform on a regular basis in order to keep the conditions of your room perfect. A typical example of a cleaning routine is to set an hour for carpet cleaning every second Sunday and take some time to de-clutter your rooms on Saturdays. That way you will know exactly what you will have to do and how much time it will take you.
- Take the small tasks out of the way – often time when you look at how much cleaning you have to do, you feel dread and feel like ignoring the chore. This is because when you leave your home unattended for too long chores add up. But if you deal with a number of small tasks you will notice that there is suddenly less home cleaning left to do. When you take care of the clothes lying around, clean the dishes in your sink and change the pet litter for example, you will get a better idea of what needs to be done.
- Take regular breaks – this is important if you want cleaning to be less stressful and cause you less headaches. You will be able to work faster if you do not feel constantly tired and you will accomplish much more.
- Always research for better solutions and techniques – if there is one thing that can frustrate you about cleaning it is the fact that sometimes it just does not work. No matter how much effort you invest and how much you spend, sometimes no positive result is present. For this reason you should take your time to research more ways to tackle home cleaning. This is very important because it can not only help you with a more efficient way of cleaning, but it will also teach you exactly what to use and what to avoid. Imagine if you pour a cleaning detergent on your carpet that will damage its fibers because you didn’t take the time to research what you should use.
- Get help – home cleaning is not a chore that should fall on the shoulders of one member of the family. If you have been doing it on your own so far, maybe it is time to get others involved. If you are living alone, you can acquire the service of a cleaning company. Usually this is very effective solution, as the cleaners will come equipped with their own tools and very quickly deal with any cleaning task you have for them.
These simple tips will guarantee a better result next time you have to clean. Follow any number of them and you will quickly notice a positive difference.
The best way for the big domestic cleaning is usually the fastest, the cheapest and the easiest way of cleaning. However, that`s the perfect way to keep the house clean, rather than deep cleaning all the floor coverings, furnishings, upholstery and other objects. Next is a short list with pros and cons of the house cleaning and you can look at the pros as easy tricks as well. For example:
– Begin the house cleaning with the most soiled objects like carpets, rugs, tile floors in the kitchen, the walls in the bathroom. The kitchen equipment also get dirty quite easily and quickly, and so it`s a good idea to start with.
– Make homemade detergent solutions instead of buying a dozen of them from the store. It`s just needed to mix some of the most powerful degreasers and detergents that you already have at home. They may include soap, shampoo, dishwashing detergent, salt, baking soda, etc.
– For truly persistent and heavily soiled spots – a better advice is to call a professional cleaning company rather than trying to clean it by yourself. If you don`t know the exact type of your rugs and carpets fibers, for example, you risk to damage them. Inappropriate use of powerful detergents can also lead to discoloration, dryness or shrinking of the fibers. Yet the professional cleaners know which type of detergent and cleaning solution are best for the heavily dirty objects.
– Wipe of dust at least a couple of hours after finishing with the deep cleaning or even on the next day. Thus, you will give enough time to the dust to accumulate on the surfaces and then to wipe it of easier and quicker.
– Deodorize and sanitize your house right after cleaning. There are plenty of tips and tricks for the impeccable sanitizing activity and it`s truly recommended if you have pets at home.
– Mopping every day will ensure cleanliness and fresh look of the floorings with flat surfaces. From laminate floorings to the tiles in the bathroom – mopping is as easy as quick and it`s definitely worth it. It will keep the clean effect for a longer time and so it will reduce the need for deep cleaning of the entire house.
Or else, let`s take a look at the CONS and try to avoid them:
– Cleaning Oriental carpets and rugs with a hot-steam cleaning machine is a mistake that can damage the yet sensitive fibers. The same applies for a myriad of other types of carpets and rugs, for example, handmade carpets, lavishly appointed carpets with very sharp colors, old carpets and more.
– Exposing the already cleaned carpets and floor coverings on a direct sunlight in order to enhance the evaporation and so to reduce the drying time is another risky thing. Especially if you plan a big spring cleaning or in the summertime maybe, the powerful sunshine can make your rugs and carpets visually unpleasing for only a few hours.
– Letting the kids to play over newly cleaned floorings and furnishings can lead to breathing unhealthy bacteria left over the surfaces or volatile chemical compounds. Even the hot-steam cleaning systems provide a tiny little chance of such a risk, although these cleaning machines can leave surfaces completely dry and ready to use.
– Cleaning windows, tiles, grout lines, kitchen equipment or other objects with a homemade detergent is one of the easiest and yet useful ways to achieve a good result, but only when you regularly change the water. Cleaning with a dirty cloth or rubbing a stain with a dirty brush can only spread the dirty stain.
Cleaning your home can be tedious and tiring. It is a chore that not many people wish to do, but one that is necessary. Cleaning is after all the only way to assure that the environment in your home is fresh and that there is no health risk for anyone in the form of dust and other unwanted allergens. To live in a clean house is not a given, it is a result from a lot of hard work. And this work often times falls mostly on the shoulders of very few people. If that is the case with you, you can try to make it a team-effort by following some of these suggestions:
- Benefits – try to explain the benefits of a clean home to anyone who is rather not willing to partake in cleaning. Everyone should understand that having a clean home is a good thing. Walking in to the sight of scattered clothing and unwashed dishes can be very unpleasant, and it is always preferable to avoid such chaos. Once that is taken care, one would always feel better overall in the cleaned home. It seems only natural then to convince others in your home to try and help you achieve this clean environment, since they will benefit from it too.
- Established Cleaning Routine – if you have an established cleaning routine, you can more easily divide tasks among members of your family. That way they will know exactly what is expected of them and when they need to clean. In turn this means that might be more willing to participate in cleaning and not leave everything to you.
- Kids – one thing a parent can always do is get the kids involved in cleaning. It may sound weird and not advisable at first, but kids can be very enthusiastic in their desire to help clean. This should be encouraged in fact, as long as it is within reasonable limits and caution for safety of course. It should not be too difficult to get the young ones to clean, as they view it as a game. And who is to say it isn’t one? Imagine for example mixing green cleaning solutions with them, or trying out new cleaning outfits. Then also consider how fun cleaning, as an activity, can be for kids. With all the running and moving involved, it is easy to imagine that they would be more than willing to work around the rooms.
- Professional Cleaning Service – it should come as an obvious choice to consider this option, when cleaning tasks add up immensely. Hiring expert domestic cleaners is often times a preferable option when you have little time to spare and you require very fast and efficient results. Cleaners normally bring their own gear and tools, so you won’t have to worry about a thing. One more benefit is that you can have them in your home at a time that is entirely convenient for you.
Cleaning is always easier with a little help, be it from the people you live with, or professional. It is always more preferable to work with someone than alone, as this will leave you more time for yourself to just do something else. Furthermore, the work can be done in better ways when more than one people are involved.
The need to clean our homes doesn’t really rely upon a specific time of the year, so we often need to address the issue regardless of what else we have to deal with. There are many ways we can get lazy, allowing the filth to pile up and that happens even more often than we’d like to admit when we have kids to take care of. We also tend to forget one of the simplest facts concerning dust – the fact that it happens to be made of dander, hair and worse. If you want to deal with it and you have kids to deal with as well, then you will need some help after all. On the bright side of things, they may even help you out if you handle things right and you can turn things into a lot of fun, so you can move ahead with this in mind while making sure your home is clean and flawless:
- Using teamwork
It would be a pretty lonesome thing to work in a bathroom by yourself, especially if you can find a fun way to clean together with your kids. You can have your kids helping you out with the smaller stuff, such as scrubbing the sink, helping you with polishing things and other things that may need to be done. You must always choose tasks that are suited to the kids themselves however, as this will be a necessary step toward finishing the job. This will also help the kids learn to deal with teamwork efforts in a friendly environment.
- Keeping kids focused
In most cases kids will be amazing at tuning out what they need to do when they get bored, so you will need to figure out ways to keep them focused and happy at the same time. You will need to offer the tasks with suitable presentation if you want to make them interested in what you must do. You can organize things with a small board with tasks meant for you and your kids, offering rewards for helping you out in one form or another. If you handle things right your kids will be more than happy to help out and they will learn something from the experience while they help out.
- The importance of music
There is a great way to inspire minds and bodies when you need to focus on a job and that is music. You can really up the mood by using some nice, upbeat tunes to help you and your kids, enjoying a good time while working with less hassle involved in the process.
- Give tougher jobs to teens
As kids grow, they will have the ability to do more to help you out, with greater skill involved. It could be anything you need, from basic repairs and organizing to cleaning. If you have been handling your kids right so far, they will not mind helping out even during the tougher and more emotionally difficult moments of their teen years. In some cases teens may dislike the tasks you give them, but they can really deal with it in a favorable way if you handle things the right way.
Cleaning rugs and carpets can be a really unpleasant chore if don’t end up choosing the right dissolvent, detergent and other cleaning solutions. However, cleaning is as important when keeping your rugs clean for a long time. Check out the following ideas and highlights for longer lasting effects after rug and carpet cleaning:
- The importance of protecting your carpets from direct sunlight exposure should not be underestimated. Whether they are made of natural textile or artificial fibers, direct sunlight causes discoloration and worse in some cases. Because of that, you would do well to put carpets and rugs in rooms and areas that happen to have some type of protection in the form of blinds, drapes and so forth.
- You can rotate the rugs several times a month to keep the wear they experience evenly distributed around their entire surface. This will give the rugs even exposure on all sides so they will not have any areas which see heavy foot traffic. Rotating rugs and carpets will also help prevent dark or slightly recessed lines where the edges of furniture press onto the rug’s surface due to their weight. This effect is usually seen under the feet of your tables or under chairs in the living room, under beds and so forth.
- Although rotating can keep rugs cleaner for a longer time, you can do a bit more by flipping them entirely. This completely changes the surface used and it ensures the carpets will be worn out more slowly. Meanwhile, the new front side offers a fresh, clean and a completely different outlook, but this is applicable only for double-sided rugs.
- Spray the fibers with a protective solution once a year, for example, after the big spring cleaning. This solution is especially recommended for longer fiber rugs, handmade rugs and Oriental rugs. It protects the colors and strengthens the fibers while ensuring deodorizing and sanitizing effect in the meantime. Choose a protective spray that`s safe for the wooden pieces of furniture above the rugs, as well as safe for playing kids or pets on the floors.
- Plan a professional cleaning at least once a year. There is nothing to beat professional cleaners, cleaning machines and the selection of the methods professional cleaners employ as they work. Yet they can also give you more advice and ideas how to care best for the carpets and the rugs at home, and with which exact solution to treat them for the best effect.
- Don`t walk with shoes on the rugs, because there is a great chance to stain them and bring dust, sand and so forth inside, but also pollen, all manner of germs and allergens from outdoors. The usual wear and tear of your passing will also have an effect on the overall health of your carpets, so you would do well to keep this in mind and avoid the issue as much as you can.
- Use a simple homemade detergent to keep your rugs clean or when a small dirty area or a spot appears is a good way to keep things clean. It all comes down to a simple detergent like a mixture of hot water, vinegar and dishwashing detergent in a bowl, for example. It happens to be cheaper than the universal detergent solutions and sometimes just as efficient if handled right.
Today, people focus on going green and they try to make use of the products that are made by using home based products. Using as less chemicals as possible is one of the major points of green cleaning. It’s a good idea to use eco-friendly and nontoxic cleaning supplies if you want to have an easier time cleaning without any danger involved. The toxic fumes of most hardcore commercial cleaners require good ventilation, so you will need to do your best to avoid if you want to have an easier time overall.
Baking soda is quite effective for removing food spills and other stains from the oven. It can even deal with more stubborn stains as well. Baking soda can be considered the preferred cleaning product for oven cleaning due to its lack of toxicity and gritty, grease-cutting power which works pretty well on oven stains.
Baking soda can replace a number of commercial cleaning products when people who want to go green and hesitate to use the products that contain harsh chemicals to wipe off food spills and other stains. Some strong chemicals cleaners, such as bleach can leave traces upon surfaces, which makes them dangerous when used around kitchens in concentrated form. As a result, these chemicals also get into our food and our bodies. On the other hand, baking soda has no smell and it happens to be safe in the quantities used. For this reason, we suggest avoiding the use of harsh chemical products altogether for oven cleaning, replacing them with baking soda that is easily and readily available. Apart from being environmental friendly another great benefit of using baking soda is that it is very cheap and found pretty much everywhere. It is far cheaper than many commercial cleaning products. There are many ways you can use it for cleaning purposes that go beyond oven cleaning, especially when combined with an acidic substance such as vinegar or lemon juice.
Normally baking soda is used along a bit of water to get the job done, but to make it more effective you can also make use of vinegar or liquid dish soap along with it. This will form a paste you can use in the oven with a sponge for optimum results. Leave it for few minutes so it can work its magic and rub the stubborn stains into oblivion. After that, make use of a clean, damp sponge to clean the oven. Baking soda is not a suitable disinfectant however, as it simply doesn’t possess such a quality. You should work on disinfection through other means, such as borax for these purposes. Even distilled white vinegar has antibacterial properties that may easily complement those of baking soda, allowing you to deal with the issues in a two-pronged attack against tough stains. You may even use the mix to unclog your kitchen drain if the situation warrants its use and you have the patience for it.
For more ideas: Carpet Cleaning London
Are you planning to move your home? Is it the end of your tenancy agreement? If yes, then there are lots of things to be done.
You need to do a lot of other things like change of address at many places including banks, surgery, packing and sorting up your stuff and finally cleaning the property. The last one is probably the most hectic task to do and it takes a lot of time and efforts to get it done. If you are working then it gets even harder to take out some time from your busy schedule and do the detailed cleaning jobs. It is really necessary to ensure that your property is completely clean before leaving as it will be reviewed by the landlord and then you will be able to get back your security deposit. If you are not paying much attention over the house cleaning then there are chances that you might not get your security deposit back. At the time of moving there are a lot of things to be done so it gets quite irritating to perform this end of tenancy cleaning.
There are a number of companies which are providing the end of tenancy cleaning services for your ease. You can take these services so as to make things easier for you. It is better to hire a professional cleaning service for your end of tenancy cleaning so as to avoid any complaints from the landlord. Before finalizing any cleaning company it is better to go through the list of the services provided by that company. This is necessary to make sure that you have got all the essential cleaning services required for end of tenancy cleaning and nothing is left behind to be done by your own self. It is required that each of the tenancy tasks is performed at high quality standards. If you are performing the end of tenancy cleaning by your own self then it will probably cost you much as you will need to buy the cleaning products and equipment. It is also possible that this equipment will no longer be used by you in future so it is better to hire a cleaning company. They will have all the tools and equipment and can give you the best services. There are few essential aspects of end tenancy cleaning . The landlord does focus over all these aspects so never ignore them. These essentials are listed below.
- Windows: Do properly clean all the windows both from inside and outside. Hiring a cleaning company will also be better as it is possible that you might not reach the exterior of your windows. Do replace if there are any cracked window panes. Remove the dust and dirt from every cut and corner of the windows.
- Kitchen: Do empty all the cabinets and cupboards of the kitchen and clean them completely. Remove all the appliances from there place and do clean the floor beneath them. Also, do clean all the appliances as well.
- Oven: Do clean the oven from inside as well as from outside. The oven must not be left uncleansed as there can be spots of food spills and oil that can be very unpleasant for others to clean.
- Bathroom: Do scrub and clean your washroom and try to remove all the lime scale, mold and soap scum that is built up. Clean each and everything including mirrors, cabinet, toilet seat and tiles. Make sure that the water flow in the sink is proper.
All these are the essentials of end of tenancy cleaning and must not be ignored.
We may love our pets quite a bit, but there are cases when we feel like may go mad with their accidents, especially when they’re still young and untrained or simply moody. Whatever your
choices, you will still need to deal with the cleaning of the mess they leave behind one way or the other.
There is no need to tolerate the issue if you can deal with it as soon as possible:
- You can minimize the damage of the accidents by taking care of the hygiene of your pets. Well-groomed fur will mean less hair all around, plus the pets will likely enjoy the attention in most cases. Bathing them often enough will also keep their coat healthy and clean. Use a lint roller often enough to keep the loose bits of hair from your clothes and furniture and you’ll have a far easier time overall.
- You can remove pet hair fairly easily if you use a powerful vacuum when it comes to carpeting, but you will require more help if you’ve been avoiding this for too long. A beater brush will help keep things clean as well as a good vacuum cleaner in tandem. You can also work on removing the hair with a pet rake for better results, which is essentially a safe nylon bristles brush that allows removing the hair without damaging surfaces. You can also use velour brushes or even simple duct tape. You can also find pet sponges to deal with the hair on fabrics and carpets.
- You may also experience a lot of stains and other problems if you’re not careful, so you will need to Paddington Carpet Cleaning focus on cleaning the carpet as soon as possible. Using water and a cloth you can work on diluting the spot that occurred as soon as the accident happens, which will make it significantly easier overall. The use of white vinegar will also help neutralize the smell and it will help break down the spot too. If that is simply not enough, then you can work with a bacteria digester to make it work in the long run. Digesters will need quite a bit of time to work, but they get things done as long as you follow the instructions provided when you buy them.
- Once all is said and done you would do well to focus on acting fast when something happens, as it will allow you to have greater success in removing the Spot. No matter what type of solution you use, you would do well to act as quickly as possible so you can avoid the lengthy process of cleaning old spots and dealing with the aftermath of ignoring them.