Now that you’ve found them perfect designer rugs from Bazaar Velvet to complement your area you’ll want to keep it looking its best, and this article will give you some great tips on how you can do just that. Let’s face it. A rug gets used a lot so it’s of no real surprise that it can quickly become worn and shabby looking of not cared for properly. To help prolong its life a little longer, why not try some of these great ideas for protecting your rug against wear and tear.
- Avoid walking on your rug in shoes; particularly high heels. Stilettos are very bad for rugs as can easily pierce them causing damage that’s hard to fix. To keep your rug looking its best why not ban all shoes from the rug. That way your rug stays looking fresh and clean and you get to feel its softness on your feet.
- Rotation, rotation, rotation. Rotate your rug regularly. This is a very good trick that will help keep your rug looking its best and won’t cost you a penny. By rotating your rug at least once every couple of months you’ll be making sure that any wear and tear is distributed evenly rather than in just one area.
- Keep your rug away from sunlight. The sun’s rays can be very harmful to rugs. If kept in the sun for a long time they will easily fade and lose their good looks. Wherever possible try and keep your rug out of direct sunlight.
- Always vacuum in the direction that the pile is facing and avoid using the brush attachments as these can be quite rough on your rug. Vacuuming against the pile can cause lifting so avoid this at all costs. Never vacuum the fringe either as the fibres can become damaged. Instead gently shake the rug to straighten the fringe and free any excess debris and dirt that may be stuck in it.
- Use underlay along with your rug. Underlay provides extra cushioning and will help prevent the rug from flattening. It will also help to prevent debris and dust accumulating under the rug.
- Vacuum regularly. While you don’t want to overdo it, vacuuming on a regular basis will help protect your rug against wear and tear. Dry foam treatments are also very good at keeping your rug looking fresh and will prevent the rug from becoming stained as with some wet cleaning treatments.
- Use a protectant. Protectants are great for preventing wear and tear as they are designed to bond with the individual fibres of the rug protecting them from any spills or dirt dragged in from outside.
- Reposition your furniture regularly. Another common cause of damage to rugs is furniture. Heavy furniture that sits in one place will leave permanent indentations in your rug. In order to avoid this reposition your furniture on a regular basis. It will give give certain areas of your rug a rest from being crushed and will make a nice change to your room also.
Steph Clarke is part of the content & community outreach team at LandofRugs.com. Steph is obsessed with interior design trends and how new technology influences design.