Cleaning rugs and carpets can be a really unpleasant chore if don’t end up choosing the right dissolvent, detergent and other cleaning solutions. However, cleaning is as important when keeping your rugs clean for a long time. Check out the following ideas and highlights for longer lasting effects after rug and carpet cleaning:
- The importance of protecting your carpets from direct sunlight exposure should not be underestimated. Whether they are made of natural textile or artificial fibers, direct sunlight causes discoloration and worse in some cases. Because of that, you would do well to put carpets and rugs in rooms and areas that happen to have some type of protection in the form of blinds, drapes and so forth.
- You can rotate the rugs several times a month to keep the wear they experience evenly distributed around their entire surface. This will give the rugs even exposure on all sides so they will not have any areas which see heavy foot traffic. Rotating rugs and carpets will also help prevent dark or slightly recessed lines where the edges of furniture press onto the rug’s surface due to their weight. This effect is usually seen under the feet of your tables or under chairs in the living room, under beds and so forth.
- Although rotating can keep rugs cleaner for a longer time, you can do a bit more by flipping them entirely. This completely changes the surface used and it ensures the carpets will be worn out more slowly. Meanwhile, the new front side offers a fresh, clean and a completely different outlook, but this is applicable only for double-sided rugs.
- Spray the fibers with a protective solution once a year, for example, after the big spring cleaning. This solution is especially recommended for longer fiber rugs, handmade rugs and Oriental rugs. It protects the colors and strengthens the fibers while ensuring deodorizing and sanitizing effect in the meantime. Choose a protective spray that`s safe for the wooden pieces of furniture above the rugs, as well as safe for playing kids or pets on the floors.
- Plan a professional cleaning at least once a year. There is nothing to beat professional cleaners, cleaning machines and the selection of the methods professional cleaners employ as they work. Yet they can also give you more advice and ideas how to care best for the carpets and the rugs at home, and with which exact solution to treat them for the best effect.
- Don`t walk with shoes on the rugs, because there is a great chance to stain them and bring dust, sand and so forth inside, but also pollen, all manner of germs and allergens from outdoors. The usual wear and tear of your passing will also have an effect on the overall health of your carpets, so you would do well to keep this in mind and avoid the issue as much as you can.
- Use a simple homemade detergent to keep your rugs clean or when a small dirty area or a spot appears is a good way to keep things clean. It all comes down to a simple detergent like a mixture of hot water, vinegar and dishwashing detergent in a bowl, for example. It happens to be cheaper than the universal detergent solutions and sometimes just as efficient if handled right.