When it comes to coziness, its ability to provide a cushiony, warm surface underfoot, and comfort when coming into your home, we know there is nothing like a carpeted floor. However, if you want to keep it as new, there are some musts you should know about:
- Know Your Carpet Material
If you know your materials, it will be easier to understand how to care for them. Some of the most common carpet materials are
- Nylon: it’s very soft, durable, and resistant to stains and abrasion.
- Polypropylene: highly stain-resistant but is prone to soiling and holding onto oils, which collect dirt.
- Polyester: this is a non-allergenic fabric but prone to flattening underweight.
- Acrylic: has good resistance, but it is not a very durable material.
- Wool: low-grade wool is more susceptible to staining, while high-grade wool could be a bit expensive.
When it comes to cleaning your carpet, you should be doing some essential things once in a while. Vacuuming often and doing it correctly with the right vacuum is something that will keep your carpet clean and your family healthy.
Address spills when they happen with ice cubes, vinegar, baking soda, shaving cream, rubbing alcohol, etc. You can also try using eco-friendly products that you know would be gentle with your carpet material.
Hiring a professional every spring cleaning to do some deep cleaning to get to those places you could not is a great way to maintain your carpets spotless.
There are many simple things you can do on a daily basis that will maintain your carpet, like taking your shoes off indoors, having a rug on any entrance so people can wipe their feet or leave their shoes, keeping sharp furniture away from your carpet, or moving places often so it won’t leave a mark on it. Also, watch for trafficked areas and clean any dust or vacuum more often if necessary. And last but not least, don´t forget to clip or trim any loose carpet fiber very carefully.
Having a carpet can give you comfort and that cozy feeling of being home, but sometimes it can be challenging, but if you take care of it with proper and regular maintenance, you could just enjoy your soft and warm carpet for many years.